8 Ways to Push Through a Workout
- Count backwards. If you have to do 20 reps, it can’t seem like forever as you count up from 1 to 20. Mentally watching the numbers creep up can be daunting. Try counting down. Maybe there’s a reason why NASA follows this rule. 3, 2, 1, blast off!
- Pep talk yourself. Talk out loud if you have to. I’ve done this plenty of times and no one ever really looks over at me. “You’ve got this! One more set. Come on. Get it!” Don’t forget to include a fist pump. That always works.
- Bargain with yourself. If you’re struggling, tell yourself that you can drop the weight on the next set if you get through all reps on this one with perfect form. Most times when I do this, I’m so proud that I did it that I don’t drop the weight. Or yesterday I told myself I could drop to 15 lbs the next set and then found out that all the 15 lb weights were in use. Dammit!
- Count slowwwwwly. If you’re doing an exercise for time, set a timer and count really slowly to yourself. Before you know it the timer will buzz even though you didn’t count all the way.
- Plan a reward. There are plenty of workouts that I do solely for the nonfat latte at the end. Pick a healthy reward! It gives you something to look forward to. Don’t plan a chocolate cake reward for every workout though!
- Keep busy. I get bored running on a treadmill. Instead of getting on and running for 30 minutes, I give myself something to do. Every 60 seconds, I adjust either the incline or the speed. Up or down, it doesn’t matter. It gives me something to do every minute and makes the time pass faster.
- Cheer for yourself. This one kinda goes with the pep talking idea above, but it’s slightly more awkward. There are times that I’ve actually ‘booyah-ed” myself in the gym and jumped into an invisible chest bump. Interestingly enough, usually someone nearby joins in with a “Good job.” Give it a try.
- Visualize the outcome. On a killer leg day, imagine how awesome your backside is going to look. Working shoulders or arms, imagine how you’ll look in a tank top. Flex in the mirror and check out your calves. It works!
Find the rest of the article here